Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Surprise Safari

Transportation in Niger is anything but romantic. There are bush taxis, which are usually 15-passenger vans that take you from one village or city to another, and by "you" I mean you, 25 other people, and the occasional livestock. And then there are the buses, for the much longer journeys, such as the treck from Niamey to Konni, my regional capital, the city about an hour away from my village.

that's right, *my* village.

We had site visits last week, and I got to take said bus ride out to Konni (about 7 hours... not bad compared to my friends' trip of 14+ hours!). I met most of the other volunteers in my region, saw the hostel (Peace Corps property for the region where we have team meetings, and are able to come in to write project proposals, etc.), and spent 4 full days in my village. but I'll talk more about that later... What I'd really like to tell you all about was the bus ride.

the buses, while hardly Greyhounds, are significantly more comfortable than the alternative (bush taxis, that is), mostely because they only allow one person per seat (for the most part...). Still, the roads are...bumpy... very bumpy...

So there I was, sitting between two other trainees on our way out to site visits, talking to pass the time, occasionally attempting to read (which is basically impossible for more of the road... see above paragraph), and generally spacing out. Suddenly, some of the Nigeriens started getting excited and pointing. One woman tapped us on the shoulder and pointed out the window.

There were giraffes. RIGHT NEXT TO THE ROAD.

They were literally within about 30 feet of me. Standing, looking, eating from a few of the trees. About 15 wild giraffes.

I should mention that this particular heard of giraffes is the only herd of West African giraffes left.

And there they were. Tall and elegant and strange and beautiful.

"So this is Africa..."

On the bus ride back, I was telling my friend Kira, who had been on a different bus on the way there and didn't get to see the giraffes, about the whole experience. Then our bus suddenly came to a stop.

"How funny would it be if the bus was stopping because a giraffe was crossing the road?" she joked.

It was.

And we saw several more standing on the side of the road, once again.

breathtaking. that's really all there is to say.

I do have to get going now, but I'll be sure to write more about my village soon.

Also - I have a niece!!! As of three days ago! And she is BEAUTIFUL!!! :-)

miss you all and hope all is well in the states!

1 comment:

K said...

Hello Flamingo!
Kathleen here. I finally found your blog (I have my own for my first year of teaching) and am ecstatic to hear that you're having a good time so far. I look forward to reading more about your adventures. I've been meaning to send you a letter for the past 2 months. Better get on that...