Sunday, September 28, 2008

Officially a PCV!

I’m swearing in tonight. After nine weeks of training and two additional weeks of language classes, I’ve been given an “intermediate high” rating in Hausa and will be sworn in tonight with five others. Training was long, often exhausting, and unbelievably helpful. I’m so glad to be done with that phase of PC and to be finally moving into my village and starting my work here.

I will go back to Konni tomorrow or Tuesday, and will spend about two days there before getting installed in my village. This will give me a little time to get my stuff in order and do some shopping before heading into the bush, but the real reason for the wait is that Ramadan is ending this week, and there is a huge celebration on Wednesday or Thursday. It would be somewhat overwhelming to try to move in during the fete, so we’re waiting until it’s over. BUT I will be in my village later this week, and I cannot wait. I know it will be difficult, especially these first few months during which I will be trying to:

-learn Hausa
-get to know people (ie make friends so I’m not sad and lonely all the time.)
-brainstorm possible future projects and counterparts to work with
-set up my house (my first house!)
-and much, much more, I'm sure...

Anyways, it will be tough, of that I'm sure. But I can’t wait.

No comments: