Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ramadan

As I mentioned, it's Ramadan right now, the month long Islamic fast during which Muslims do not eat or drink anything from morning prayer (about 5am) to evening prayer (around 7pm). Since virtually everyone around in Muslim, the fast affects basically every aspect of daily life. It's been really interesting to witness, as it is a very different kind of fast than I am used to. For starters, it's completely uniform, unlike lent. Everyone does the same thing and everyone knows that everyone is doing it. Technically if someone is sick, pregnant, or travelling long distances they are absolved from the fast, but for the most part it seems that most people partake regardless of those circumstances. While not eating from 5am to 7pm is certainly a challenge, I don't think that holds a candle to abstaining from drinking water through the heat of the day, especially here. As a matter of necessity, so as to avoid heat stroke or severe dehydration, activity dwindles and people spend a lot more time sitting in the shade during this month.

At first, the constant discussion of the fast threw me off a bit. Understand, as far as lent is concerned I try not to mention that I'm fasting and to keep what I'm doing/not doing for lent to myself and am accostumed to others treating their fasts in a similar way. But the difference here is that everyone is doing exactly the same thing. People talk about it, often, but they typically talk about it just as they would the weather. "Hello, How's your health? How's your family? How's your fast?", etc. go the regular greetings.

This discussion of fasting has also put my Hausa skills to the test. When asked, I've explained that I'm not fasting now but that I do a different fast in March. (Although I do think I'll participate next year, when I'm in my village..) "Do you eat food?" they ask of Christians during Lent.
"Well, yes, we do."
"Do you drink water?"
"Well...yes."
And then they look at me as though I'm utterly ridiculous, and either say "That's not a fast!" or "That sounds like a great fast - I wish I could do that one instead!"
I try, to little avail given my uber-limited vocab, to explain that it's not necesarilly easier, just different. That it lasts longer and each person chooses what they will give up and/or do. Still, I feel like I've done a pretty serious disservice in my explanation, and thankfully I won't have to attempt that discussion with my villagers until next year, when, inshallah (God willing) my language will be slightly more proficient.

No comments: