Sunday, June 14, 2009

When Monkeys Attack

Vic and I were relaxing in our bungalow at Kruger National Park in South Africa, watching The Office on his laptop, taking a break after driving around the park all morning looking for lions, elephants, rhinos, etc… when we heard a crash just outside. We both got up and went to the door to see what it was, only to find that a gang of monkeys, each maybe 2 feet tall, had broken into the fridge (why the fridge is outside, I don’t know…), thrown our onions on the ground, stolen half of our loaf of bread, and knocked over our chairs. Now, when we got there we saw some signs warning us to put all food away, because there had been problems with monkeys. But it hadn’t really occurred to me that putting the food in the fridge did not count as “putting it away”.

There was an older South African man, walking down the street, shouting at the monkeys (there were dozens of them), and trying to chase them away. They scattered within seconds and took off. “It’s because people feed them,” he told us. “They think they’re cute and then they become this serious problem for us.”
Once things had died down, we went back inside to continue watching the office. A few minutes later, we heard monkeys outside our bungalow yet again. But this time I knew how to handle it (or so I thought…). I went out stomped my feet and made a lot of noise, and took a few steps towards them, like the man had done before. There were three of them, and they all took off right away, but then apparently one of the three decided that I wasn’t actually all that intimidating. He turned around and charged straight at me. As you can probably imagine, I screamed bloody murder. I think this freaked him out a bit, because he paused long enough for me to get back through the door, close and lock it. Maybe trying to chase away the monkeys wasn’t my all-time best idea…

No comments: