Saturday, January 10, 2009

Abinci (food)

I've gotten a lot of questions about what I'm eating and what Nigeriens eat, so here is an overview:

Most meals in Niger include what Hausa's call tuwo, which is millet, pounded into flour and cooked with water to make a thick paste-like substance, which is served with sauce. Milllet, or hatsi, itself doesn't have much flavor, but its super filling and the sauces can be really tasty.

The sauces vary, sometimes they use a spicy red sauce, sometimes a peanut sauce (my personal favorite - and, happily, my villagers' favorite as well), sometimes an okra sauce (thus far I have only heard of this one), etc.

Rice and sauce is another common meal. Also, rice and beans, with tonka (hot combination of spices) and sauteed onions (SO good!).

Fancier meals, such as those I might have at the mairie (mayor's office), include lamb or goat meat and possibly couscous.

Nigeriens usually eat from a communal platter, using their right hand. This took me some getting used to, but by now I've adjusted (and, I'm sorry mom but, I may not be able to break the habit of eating rice with my hands entirely once I'm home...)

Most of the time, I cook for myself (because I like cooking... although I could eat with a family in my neighborhood whenever I want), so I do get some American-ish food on a regular basis. I get fish in my market town almost every monday, and make grilled cheese and tomato soup most weeks. (Not to mention the occasional treat of care-package food from amazing people at home! Mac&cheese or a can of clam chowder may not seem that exciting, but trust me, it is very much appreciated - thank you all!)

Vegitables can be scarce in Niger for most of the year, but it is currently cold season, which is also gardening season, so most markets have ample fresh produce (such as carrots, tomatos, lettuce, cabbage, etc.) available.
**On that note - I've started a garden! I'm growing carrots and cabbage, and a few of my villagers, especially some women from the women's group and the guys in charge of agriculture, have been helping me learn how to plant and take care of it :-) I walk to the community garden with my borrowed watering can and water my small plot of garden every afternoon, and then hang around for a bit talking to the women by the well or some of the young girls who are there...It's been a lot of fun (pictures to come, insha'allah)

No comments: