Sunday, August 3, 2008

Re-learning

I am sure that anyone who joins the Peace Corps, or anyone who moves from western civilization to a developping country for that matter, expects to need to learn a lot and drastically alter their day to day routines. I knew that everything would be very different. I even had some ideas about what it would be life. However, the experience of needing to re-learn absolutely everything is...well... strange.

I'm learning Hausa, relearning how to go to verbally communicate. I had to be taught how to go to the bathroom (although I'll spare you the details), how to eat, dress, sit, wave, bathe...Nothing is familiar, and yet, somehow, everything feels natural (most of the time).

With the accomplishment of the most mundane tasks I find constant reassurance. "I can do this."

Somehow, the ability to eat rice and beans with my right hand gives the assurance that two years here is a manageable thing. Because, here, it's all about taking things one step at a time.

No comments: